How can we have a happy life? Jesus gave us the answer in the Beatitudes.
You Ought To Be Poor In Spirit
- We need to see ourselves the way God sees us.
- We must understand that we approach God on the basis of grace and not performance.
- Without Jesus, we are a wretch…unhappy, miserable.
You Ought To Be Of Those That Mourn
- We must have the ability to mourn over our sins.
- If we can sin and not be bothered by it, then there is something desperately wrong with our christian life.
You Ought To Be Meek
- Meekness is not weakness. Jesus was meek but definitely not weak.
- Meekness is power under control. It enables us to do the will of God. To say “not my will, but thy will be done”.
You Ought To Hunger & Thirst After Righteousness
As the deer pants for the water brooks, so pants my soul for You, O God.
- We should want the things of God more than anything else in our lives.
- We should want to be pleasing to God rather than pleasing to men.
You Ought To Be Merciful
- We need to be compassionate in our heart, thoughts, and actions.
- We should be merciful to others rather than condemning.
You Ought To Be Pure In Heart
The mind is the citadel of the soul.
Dr. James Merritt
- By pure in heart, Jesus was referring to our thought lives.
- We need to get our thought lives under control. The apostle Paul writes, “Casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ” 2 Corinthians 10:5
- God wants us to bring our thought lives under obedience to Jesus.
- There is a war on for our thought lives. The enemy would like to control the way we think. If he can control the way we think, then he has us. “For as he thinks in his heart, so is he. Proverbs 23:7
- Think on the right kinds of things not on the wrong things. People fall into sin by entertaining evil thoughts rather than rejecting them in the name of Jesus.
You Ought To Be A Peacemaker
- Being a peacemaker is about…
- Helping to bring people back together.
- Helping solve disputes.
- Helping erase divisions.
- Helping reconcile differences.
- Helping eliminate strife.
- Helping to build relationships.
- The church is filled with corrupt communication. That is, communication that does not build up. The Bible says, “Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth” Ephesians 4:29
- Being a peacemaker is also about being a soul winner.
You Ought To Endure Persecution
- Suffering for the sake of righteousness. For doing the right thing and not the wrong thing. The Bible says, “Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.” 2 Timothy 3:12
- We will suffer for Christ but we have a hope in Him. One day we will live forever in His presence. The apostle Paul said, “For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us.” Romans 8:18
- We should not be afraid to be persecuted for our faith. We should determine in our hearts to stand up for the things of Christ no matter the cost.
There are some attitudes that ought to be. You ought to be a christian. You ought to be a child of God. There are some things that ought not to be. You ought not be a half-hearted christian. The most miserable person in the room is the half-hearted christian. The prodigal son was a half-hearted christian. Not until he returned to the father did his happiness become restored.
The happiest person in the room is the person that is sold out for Jesus. Happiness is a choice. You can choose to be happy today. You can say “I’m choosing to follow Jesus. I’m choosing to sell out for Him. I’m choosing to trust Him.” Happiness is an event that begins with being born again and continues with a process of being dedicated to the things of God.